Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"scattered snow flurries"

Weatherman speak: "scattered snow flurries"
Laymen speak: Near blizzard conditions!

Maybe I'm not as objective as the next person about the weather...at least when I am the one driving in it. I've had rather scattered driving experiences. I didn't get a drivers license when most do at 16, I waited... got it about 9 years ago or so. Then during that time I had a car to drive maybe half that time, maybe closer to a third. I realized this year as I drive My Love to work at an unearthly hour, that I have almost no winter driving experience!

Mostly it's not my fault. We live in a high altitude desert so we never really had much snow to speak of, but that started changing about half way thru the winter 3 winters ago. Suddenly the snow fell and DIDN'T melt off. For the first time in recent memory there was snow on the medians for over a month! Yards where white instead of brown. The pipes froze repeatedly <_<
The towns folk were in a tizzy! All anyone could talk about was the snow and cold!
I didn't have a car that winter. That spring I learned to drive a stick and had my car YAY!
That fall it broke down, boo!

So now here we are with the weather deciding we should really match the rest of the state, really what's so special about this valley, so it is dumping storm after storm on us. We had managed to convinced ourselves, rather foolishly, that winter was over. After a snow filled December Global Weirding had brought us a January with blue skys and highs in the 60's! As we all muttered about how odd this strange warmth was, we got rather used to it.

I was having a terrible time sleeping last night. Seriously, chamomile and valerian may need some back up if this keeps up, grrr. So about 2am I was wandering around the house. It dawned on me that things felt and sounded different. So I looked out the window. The snow was just beginning to fall. It barely dusted the ground. The flakes so small I couldn't really see them falling in the darkness. I don't mind snow, but I realized this meant that My Love would have to go in to work early, as if the buttcrack of dawn wasn't early enough. So I went back to bed, I hate driving at the buttcrack of dawn.

I recall trying to drag myself from the sweet embrace of sleep, actually sleep, as My Love was getting dressed. I must have told him about the snow before I was fully coherent, because his expression of displeasure at the weather was what got me awake enough to drag out of bed. I really didn't care what I threw on and now that I'm awake and looking at it I must remember to lay out my cloths at night. Yeah...faded blue skirt, apple green shirt, crimson red sweater, black socks, white shoes... have I ever told you how I dislike mornings with an intense passion?

The only thing worse then morning...morning people. But as he got the car warmed up and the porch, stairs, and windows all cleared off I will forgive his flaws. We dragged the kids out of bed to start getting ready... That usually means I stand in the hall and say annoying things so they will respond, until I get annoyed and decide to throw water on them. This morning as I talked about inane things I had an idea.
As I talked I decided I wanted to celebrate this Friday so started talking about going to get a pu pu platter. That got me excited and I decided we will go to a restaurant and sit and eat. Heck, I'm going! The rest can come or not as they decide, but I want a pupu platter! Yeah I'm really mature in the morning.
The other morning person, Monster , bounced out of bed (risking her life with perkiness) and wanted to know what on earth was a poo poo platter, seriously. My Love realized before my befuddled brain that they had never experienced one and their only reference was from a cartoon called a Bug's Life. Thunderous One was awake by the time I explained it was a fire.
Boys like fire I guess.
I told how They bring a flaming bowl to the table and you have a grill and ribs and stake and paper wrapped chicken and shrimp... Monster offered to eat all the red meat so I wouldn't have to look at it. Thunderous really like the whole fire at your table aspect, Eldest just moaned and covered her head with a pillow (a girl after my own heart). I wandered off (probably to get water to throw) and let My Love finish the summoning of the children.

He cheated.

He said, "Anyone in the hall in 15 seconds gets some money!"
I think Monster was in the hall before he finished the sentence, Thunderous One came falling out of his room before he was past 10 (he was counting down). He had to give Eldest an extra 5 seconds. I don't know what happened but somehow she was delayed getting out her door, probably was tangled in her blankets and fell out of bed, at least that's what it sounded like from the next room.

Now that kids were up and starting to get ready we could leave with little fear that they would fall back to sleep while I was gone. Thunderous is really bad at that, then the whole morning is torture as I rush him to get to the bus.

Can you tell I'm still tried? That or I'm ADD. Maybe both.
I start out telling you about the weather and somehow ramble my way to how we woke up... Maybe I am the daughter of a Greek god :)
If you haven't read Percy Jackson and the Olympians series you will have no idea what I'm talking about :P

where was I?
...
...
...
...

OH! that's right...

I have a bottle of Ghiradelli's chocolate sauce and bribed the kids if everyone, and I mean everyone, was dressed to their shoes when I got back I would make hot chocolate with it! Haha! My Love is not the only one who can pay them to get moving!
Went to a Love and Logic class last night, that's not bribery that's real life logical payment for getting a job done.
Seriously real life lesson there, how many of us want to be paid in Ghiradelli's chocolate?

We walked out the door and somehow I was surprised! My morning befuddled brain was expecting the snow to still be just a dusting, like it had been when I looked out the window 3 hours earlier.

It was not.

Even though My Love had cleared the porch off just minuets before, the boards were once again covered in a layer of snow. I blinked in surprise at the large flakes that were hitting my face. There was a few inches piled on the rail. I turned and crunched through the snow to the van. I started to head to the drivers side out of reflex... we had a little shuffle as we tried to decide who should drive. I told My Love he got to. See I can make good decisions in the befuddling morning.

As we started off we noticed the snowplow had only been down one side of the road. We saw some tire tracks that went... well... to places cars usually don't go by choice, but no abandoned cars, so that was good.
I started to laugh. The guy on the radio was reading the weather report, the station is in the nearest baby city. He said "chance of scattered snow flurries today in your town and 20 degrees, feels like 18..." we were going 20 on a road we usually go 45. Apparently this was a scattered snow flurry. Well, that's comforting, isn't it?

I got a bit ... concerned when the one who lived in Idaho for all his teen winters did a very interesting sliding skidding turn slide turn to get on the correct road at one point. I couldn't believe how many cars were out! We never have that much traffic at the buttcrack of dawn any other day! My Love snarked that they all left early to beat the traffic in the snow, worked real well.

I gave him my tips from the day before and we stopped to get hot chocolate. Hey, I had to have it if I was going to be driving home, I'm not dependant on it or anything... I could skip it if I wanted to...

The snow had apparently fallen heavier on this side of town. I decided to take a more used street home as My Love slipped around to another street. He agreed the would be a good idea. The snow was completely untouched (which means maintenance hadn't come by to plow the parking lot yet) when we got to his school. It was rather beautiful to me. But all he could see was all the shoveling he was about to start doing. Amazing about perception isn't it?

Did i mention I dislike mornings?
Did i mention I have very little winter driving experience?
Oh.
Well, now put those two together and what do you get?
Well less slipping then I feared, but about 15-20 miles and hour and a much longer return trip then usual. At one point, as I cursed the anti-lock brakes that probably saved me from sliding all the way into the intersection in front of a plow truck, I thought about moving to Phoenix.

I decided I really don't want to live in Phoenix.
Plow truck drivers are crazy.
Other truck drivers are not much more sane.

I was almost to the turn off the highway that would get me home when suddenly I spotted a wall, a big white wall that was heading right toward me! I slammed into a blizzard wall at a roaring 20 miles and hour and took my foot off the gas. I knew there was a car ahead of me and none behind, but the lights on the car in front suddenly dimmed in the incredible swirl of white! these flakes were huge! I think the flakes had been getting bigger anyway but in this wall they were biggest and holding hands!
That is when I realized my dad is as crazy as a plow driver, maybe that would be a good next career for him.
I was surprised that I made my turn with out slipping, the wall of white lifted so it was only a heavy vale. I noticed the snow plow had made it by in the other direction on the road, but the side from earlier was already looking like he hadn't been by at all. The tire track from leaving were filled in. But I had made it home! The huge swirling flakes covered me as I walked from the van to the door all of 10 feet if that far. I was shaking off my hat and cloak as I came in the door.

Except for the whole driving part of it I rather enjoyed that snow storm that was only scattered flurries. I reminded me of the snow storms from childhood. The big wet flakes! I really hope we can actually make a snowman! Usually the Snow is way to dry to make snow men with, i miss snowmen.

The kids where not only dressed to the shoes they had started thier breakfast! I made the promised hot chocolate and they packed their lunches. Even though we didn't head out till we saw the buss we were covered in snow when if finally pulled up. Flashing lights turning the snow orange. Monster thought the snow look funny, we realized why, and she ran to get her glasses LOL! The bus waited and we chatted about this interesting turn in the weather.

I just looked out the window... and excuse any typing mistakes as I am now snow blind!
There are a few large lazy flakes falling and the sky it turquoise gleaming through tears in the white clouds. The sun is shining through the breaks in the clouds.

Rather wish I had some firewood though... might be a good time to take a nap.

1 comment:

Jessica G. said...

"risking her life with perkiness"
Loved that line!