Search This Blog

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Request for Advice

I have 2 topics I want to bounce of of someone...
so... tag, you're it!
First one:
Eldest is starting high school and would like a cell phone. We have come up with the following contract. I would like impute on it... any advice from parents of cell carrying kids especially! Anything we should add?
****
I, (place your name here), do agree to earn and maintain grades in each of my high school classes of an A or B (a B- will count as a B for one semester only).
After earning these grades I shall receive a basic pay-as-you-go cell phone with $15 worth of minutes.
I will earn upgrades to the phone and or additional minutes by maintaining A's & B's or improving my grades.
I may lose phone privileges if my grades fall, chores are not done, any rues not adhered to, and at the discretion of my parents.
I understand having a cell phone is a privilege and I wish to earn that privilege.

Everyone's signature.
****

What do you think?
Really need some comment on this one... I just might beg!


Now the second thing: I would like to hear about is crock-pot cooking.
We use ours OFTEN!
But we keep running into the same problem.
TASTE.
We follow recipes and experiment but very rarely do we seem to get the food out of the crock-pot as flavorful as we want. We usually have to season again on our plates.
More garlic, pepper and salt almost every time.
Is there a secret we are missing?
Do you have to seriously over season for it to have flavor?
Or are we adding ti at the wrong time?
Perhaps it should be added in the last 30 minutes rather then at the beginning?
Anyone have experience with this?

help?

2 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

For high school, I think requiring the teenager to get nothing less than a B with one exception is pushing it...it's like setting him and you up for failure. Keep it simple, nothing less than a 80 average.

Get unlimited texting...kids don't talk on phones these days.

Get a phone plan where you can block calls and/or texting at certain times of the day or night.

Regarding crock pot cooking: Oftentimes salt and pepper in recipes are to taste. Your family may like more seasoning in your food. Also, check your dried seasoning to make sure they are not stale. Dried garlic, garlic powder, and garlic salt has a stronger taste than minced garlic from a jar.

Jessica G. said...

I don't think requiring a B is too much...especially since you know best what grades she is capable of earning. Now, if she were a D student, then that's not a good contract.

You might want to be more specific about expectations for upgrades upfront (at least for a couple of them). Might make it easier for her to set her sights on the goal when she knows the prize is worth it.

And I think most recipes are kinda bland anyway. You know what your family likes and can adjust accordingly. I have a really good recipe for BBQ pork in the crockpot. I'll email it to you.